Country house norfolk dating 1240 absolute dating notes
To the north the land has been divided by fences and planted with vines for the wine which the estate produced until recently (2000) and beyond these are two small pasture fields planted with mature holm oak along the boundaries.
This area was taken into the park by Baron Sondes in the mid C19 but may have remained as pasture fields for much of the time.
GARDENS AND PLEASURE GROUNDS The gardens lie to the south and west of the House and are bounded by a ha-ha and iron fence with open panoramic views from the southern ha-ha boundary looking out to the park and lake and the landscape beyond.
To the south-east is a pleasure ground, planted by Mrs Birkbeck on the site of the old hall, defined to the south by a yew hedge and containing monkey puzzles, catalpas, and large cedars which survive from the garden of the old hall.
North Elmham is situated in a relatively flat part of rural Norfolk, characterised by open fields and occasional woodland blocks.
It sits centrally in the northern half of the site, looking south across the park towards the lake.
It contains a collection of exotic conifers including taxodium, cryptomeria, and numerous pines underplanted with box and yew.
Some of the trees are very mature, particularly the cedars.
DESCRIPTION LOCATION, AREA, BOUNDARIES, LANDFORM, SETTING Elmham House lies adjacent to the B1110 Holt to East Dereham road, on the west side of the village of North Elmham.
The registered site is almost square in shape and covers c 140ha.
Directly south of the House is a lawn with a small brick terrace and sunhouse, also dating from the early C20.